Wednesday, March 14, 2012

WAGL Conference Day 2

WOW! My experience thus far has been beyond incredible; words can truly not descibe what I have been feeling and seeing. I just got back from the second day of the conference and I am still in shock of today's and tonight's events! The Emirati people and the conference organizers have been so hospitable and open to us and it is truly amazing. I am honestly still trying to grasp and comprehend all that has been happening around me.

In this blog post I am going to address one of the conference panels I attended at the conference today. The panel was called "Financial Education for Women: How to Manage Your Finances" and it was conducted by a woman from the Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank. I attended this conference because as a soon to be college graduate I am concerned about finances and I figured this conference would not only be interesting, but applicable. The speaker started out with some startling statisitcs about women and financial security and independence. Two of the statistics were that women perform 66% of the world's work and a woman reinvests 90% of her income back into her family. These statistics were startling to me and it was interesting to learn more about how women invest their money. The speaker used these stats to show how their bank created a special credit/debit card for the women in the UAE that has certain services geared toward them. The presenter also addressed 5 distinct points that will help a person achieve financial independency, such as setting clear financial goals and developing a budget. This specific session was incredibly helpful to me because I learned how I should approach my finances and I also learned how other women, specifically UAE women, approach finances.

Tomorrow is the final day of the conference, so I am looking forward to more eye opening experiences!

Goodnight!

Abby Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment