Friday, March 2, 2012

Just around the Corner

As classes come to a close and friends say goodbye, spring break is finally in full swing. Now that the reality of the adventure I am about to embark on has set in, I can hardly contain my excitement! I must admit that I found myself daydreaming about the WAGL conference instead of focusing on midterm papers and exams the past few weeks, but honestly, can you blame me? How could I not concentrate on this once in a life-time experience! Dubai and Abu Dhabi: incredible.

Although I have never done any international traveling, I am enthusiastic (and maybe a little nervous) to board the airplane and begin this experience. Every time I think about the conference I can feel the butterflies, no more like pterodactyls fluttering around in my stomach, I literally get jittery with anticipation. I crave the culture shock, the new insights I will gain, and the people I will meet. I have spent expanses of time looking at photos of the United Arab Emirates and reading about it. I cannot wait to see the architecture, taste the food, and observe everything that is going on-if only I had an extra set of eyes to make sure I didn’t miss anything!

The thing that I find most difficult to wrap my head around is the conference itself. What will it be like? I cannot even fathom the reaction I will have to this group of talented and inspiring women gathered together. I am sure the dynamic of a high concentration of influential and intelligent speakers, leaders, and delegates will have a profound effect on me, and I am ready to embrace it. I hope to learn from these women and let their experiences and insights help shape my view of the world to become a better global citizen. I can’t wait to being interacting and engaging with the attendees of the Women as Global Leaders Conference.

My passport is set out, I have my luggage packed (kind of, turns out packing is a struggle), and I am geared up ready to go. As I am writing this, a big smile forms on my face because in just a few short days this dream will become a reality. Can you tell I’m excited?

Until next time,
Nikki Orth

No comments:

Post a Comment