Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Bennies are Back

How will I ever be able to describe this experience? This was the question I asked myself as I was packing up my suitcase on the last night we were in the UAE. As we traveled to the airport in the most silly of bus rides ever (so many jokes, well…maybe not even jokes-we just thought everything was funny! Probably due to lack of sleep!) I continued to wonder what I will say to those back home. It was not until I was sitting in the airplane getting ready to go to Frankfurt that it hit me, this experience cannot be explained accurately-it must be experienced. I have seen, learned, discovered, tasted, smelled, and grown so much in this extraordinarily short amount of time.

As I now sit here on the CSB campus, I realized that I miss the UAE greatly. I feel as if I made a true friend. A friend I was not only just gaining insights and learning all about, but also discovering things about me as the relationship grew. The diversity and culture infused atmosphere has me addicted, I want to learn even more. See more. And experience more.

It was interesting when I was watching CNN and Hala Gorani, an anchor and one of the keynote speakers at the conference (so cool!) comes on the screen. She was reporting from Abu Dhabi about the crisis in Syria. This small event solidified my understanding for one of the greatest lessons I learned from the conference; the connectedness of the world and the greater global human connection. I was able to reflect on how even though we may be of different cultures, different backgrounds, or different lives completely-we are still linked on many levels: the idea of humanity, shared or familiar experiences, happiness, and hardworking leadership.

The conference itself was amazing and I found the opportunity to not only listen to distinguished leaders from all around the globe, but to meet students like myself and establish relationships with them as invaluable. I think my jaw was constantly dropped at the sights and amazements that our hosts put on for us. Fireworks, live performances, all of the incredible food, the palace, distinguished speakers, camels, henna, and even the flowers were out of this world beautiful. Perhaps I should have invested in some duct tape to keep my mouth shut :)

This trip was the best experience of my college career, and I feel so blessed to be able to attend a college like St. Ben’s that has the IWL and provides opportunities like this. I know that I will be able to take my leadership capabilities to the next level, and this trip has also stirred something up inside of me: the travel bug. I realized how vast the world is, and I want to explore it. I want to see more, even though I know this travel bug’s thirst for adventure will never be satiated. The entirety of the trip was amazing, and more than I ever hoped or imagined it to be. So many memories were created, and so many laughs shared with our group that I will take with me for the rest of my life.
Thanks CSB, the IWL, AUS, and Zayed University, and even Faraz who was kind enough to hold my shoes :),
Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment